Friday 2 March 2018

Cricket Song

Author Name: Cricket Song (Sheri Breault Kreitner)
Best Known Works: A Witch's Voice
Where Can You Find Her? Lunar Wisdom, Facebook
Top Writing Tip: Write for yourself not for others; if you like your story there will be others who enjoy it as well. 

Thank you for taking the time to talk with us!



When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing short stories in elementary school as part of assignments given to me by my teacher, but enjoyed the process so much that I continued to do so for personal pleasure. I kept journals and filled notebooks with fictional stories. 

When did you realise that you were Pagan?
I have always had a strong connection to The Source of All-There-Is, but was raised as a Roman Catholic, but I never stopped questioning. Through my life experiences, I discovered other religions and spiritual practices and felt that all roads ultimately lead to the same destination. It wasn’t until around 2002 that I stumbled upon Witchcraft, magick, and paganism that I realized these were the concepts that made the most sense to me and were aligned with my own beliefs. Once I leaped into study and practice I never turned back.

How did the topic of your book(s) come to you? 

Most of the stories are personal in nature though have been provided within a fictional setting. Some of the characters are direct reflections of me while others are just pieces of the person I am and live shadows of my own life experiences. 

What are the main life experiences that have led to this book?

I have always loved words since elementary school and often wrote fiction as well as poetry and over the last few years within my practice, I would offer spontaneous words of devotion during my rituals and sabbat celebrations. This book is the product of such work and has been one of love.

Do we see some of you in your book?

Most definitely there are parts of me and my life experiences in everything I write, whether it is a short story, a poem, or a full-length novel. I don’t think I am able to write something that doesn’t reflect a part of me. 

Tell us a bit about your story, key characters and plot.

This particular book, A Witch’s Voice is a collection of pagan / witchy/spiritual poetry with some of the poems being illustrated by Nakita Melo (who is also pagan). 

Do you plan your stories before you begin?

I usually have a rough plot line; major things I want to occur within the story, but nothing detailed; those fall into place as the characters reveal themselves and live the story.

How long does it take you to write a book, are you a fast writer or a slow writer?

Since I am self-published, I have the luxury to set my own deadlines and change them if need be, which many times the need is there to adjust my own deadlines. I homeschool my daughter and run a small business so writing isn’t the only thing I do and often times it isn’t the primary focus of my day so I tend to take time to write my books. My first book took about five years and the others each about a year or two. 

Are you published or self-published, and what has been your experience of this process?

I am self-published. My first novel, The Prodigal Son I published in May 2016. It was a story I had been writing for years during a very challenging time in my life. The next book I published was a workbook for a spiritual program a created in February 2017, followed by the first volume of a paranormal/supernatural story titled Secrets of Syn published July of the same year, which brings me to this new publication, A Witch’s Voice released March 2018. The experience has been interesting and very rewarding. Being self-published presents many obstacles, but I am supported by family and friends, which makes it worthwhile. 

How important are reviews of your work, do you read them?

I appreciate reviews and I do read them even if they are not favorable. I feel that it makes me a better writer and allows me to get a feel for what people enjoy reading and what they don’t, though I don’t take everything to heart, or rather, I do my best not to. 

Who encourages/inspires you?

Many individual encourage and inspire me; family, friends, acquaintances, other authors, artists, actors, musicians, spiritual leaders … people. People who have a passion for what it is they do and who allow that passion to shine through their words and the things they manifest.

What are your future plans for writing?
I am currently working on another novel, the working title of which is The Claiming of Parker Green, which is a Lovecraftian styled horror. 
***
Thank you again for giving us a glimpse into your work and your process! We wish you the best of luck with your next novel and your future work!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be a delay between posting your comment and it appearing. Thanks for taking the time to get involved.