Wednesday 4 December 2013

Jan McDonald

Author: Jan McDonald 
Best known works: The Mike Travis Paranormal Investigation Series, Crone Moon & Cottage Witchcraft 
Where you can find her: Website / Raven Crest Books 
Top writing tip: Believe in yourself and keep writing.




Hi Jan, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions for us. We're looking forward to hearing more about you.

Can you tell us a little about yourself and what led you to be a writer?

I have always been aware of, and interested in, the paranormal. As I have grown older, the paranormal simply seems normal to me, whatever that may be. The idea was to write a series about a paranormal investigator, not the TV kind, but a real life, down to earth person with an open mind. Mike Travis was born.

I have also written and had published two non-fiction works on the Craft. Cottage Witchcraft and Crone Moon. Both published by Capall Bann Publishing. A lifelong pagan, I wanted to write something that is simple and open to all in the initial, and not so initial, stages of paganism. Crone Moon is written for Witches of  ‘a certain age’ - like me! It introduces the Dark Goddess in all her Cronehood and glory.
 
When did you first realise that you were Pagan? 

Since I was about five and old enough to hear the voice of the Goddess in the trees, see her face in the moon.
 
When and why did you begin writing?
 
I began writing when I was around ten. I wrote my first book during my maths lessons which I hated. Of course I was discovered and the book confiscated. Later that week I was sent to the Head who told me it was good, and I was going to read it to the school during assembly once it was finished.

Who do you enjoy reading when you're not writing?

I adore Terry Pratchett, an absolute genius.

Can you tell us a bit about your publisher?          
 
I am published by Dave Lyons at Raven Crest Books, a brilliant publisher.
 
What else have you had published?
 
I have currently five novels published with Raven Crest Books. The Sacred Ark is the 5th. Number six is about to be released in time for Christmas.

Do you think ebooks have changed the publishing market for better or worse?

I can only answer honestly to that as all of my books are available as ebooks and do very well. So, yes, I think that although I prefer the touch, smell and feel of a book in my hands, the likes of Kindle are here to stay.

How did the topic for this book come to you?
 
The Sacred Ark (The Ark of the Covenant) has always been to me more than we are given to understand in Christian writings. I came across a book by Lawrence Gardner Lost Secrets of the Sacred Ark, and there it was, a non-fiction book explaining what I already believed. I wanted others to catch a glimpse of this truth and so put it into a novel where it would find the hearts and minds of those who would understand its message.

Who encourages and inspires you?
 
My husband. He’s a down to earth practical man, also with a deep and abiding love of  The Goddess, who has believed in me since I first put pen to paper, or rather fingers to keyboard.

Where do you go when you need to recharge?

Glastonbury. Always.

Can you tell us a bit about your story?
 
The Sacred Ark is a Mike Travis Paranormal Investigation. He is asked by an old friend to help with his search for proof that will vindicate him of previous ridicule by the Archaeological fraternity, when  he publishes a paper that stands accepted theories on their head regarding the Ark of the Covenant, Moses, and the Pharaoh Akhenaten. The trail leads them to an apocalypse prevention scenario.  

Have you ever met one of your characters in real life?

Yes, though he wasn’t as large as life as any fictional character, but Mike Travis owes him a great deal.

Do we see some of you in your books?

Yes, I see a vague reflection of me in Beth, Mike Travis’ wife.

That sounds intriguing. Will there be a follow-up?
 
The Mike Travis series is four in number and growing a stable fan base, number five, The Haunted Diary of Victoria Little, is due for release and number seven is in the research stage and will be called The Merlin Manuscript.

*

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us, Jan. We wish you every success in your future publishing ventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be a delay between posting your comment and it appearing. Thanks for taking the time to get involved.